Search This Blog

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lingerie Cake

I had so much fun making this lingerie inspired cake for my lifelong friend's Bachelorette Party & Lingerie Shower!  It was way bigger than necessary, but big cakes are just way more fun than small cakes!  

Almost all of the bustier cake ideas I found online were made with fondant, but I really wanted to try to make this all buttercream.  I'm so happy with how it turned out!  

Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
To make the cake I used my Wilton Sports Ball Pan and a 12x18 sheet pan.  I had planned to make just one sheet layer, but the first cake was a little thin, so I ended up layering 2 sheets together.  In total, I used 7 cake mixes to make this cake!!  I used my favorite boxed mix recipe for Vanilla Cake from TidyMom.com.  This makes a soft but slightly denser cake than using the recipe from the box... which makes carving a cake much easier!

Here's how I pieced it together....
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
After layering the sheet cakes and adding the "bra top," I carved the sides and top of the cake to look like a bustier.  
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
 Then came the icing....
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
And decorating.... it's funny how decorating the cake is the quickest and easiest part of all!  And most fun, of course!
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
Cake and Photo by Kelly Little
So much fun for a Lingerie Shower or Bachelorette Party!

Happy Little Party ! ! !

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, what pan/mold did you use to get the round bra shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the Wilton Sports Ball Pan.... super easy to make! I've seen these pans at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. You can also buy online:

      http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3e30abd4-475a-bac0-5b381da1ba82e3d3

      Delete
  2. Kelly how many cake boxes did you use for each pan and whats the baking time for each pan? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me what tips you used to make this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I used Wilton tip #3 for the "lace" and the petal tip #104 for the ruffles. I used #12 for the bodice. Hope that helps! I love cakes made out of all buttercream... so much yummier than fondant!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for answering so quickly! This seriously looks amazing! I am debating as to whether or not I can pull it off!!! And I agree 100%! Buttercream is SO much better than fondant!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use a template to carve or just do free hand?

    ReplyDelete